Monday, January 31, 2011

Big Mean Norwegians

My husband's family is mean.  Yep, they are all a bunch of mean spirited Norwegians who make fun of me.  They get together a lot...this big group of mean Norwegians.  And me, poor little me, along with all the other "in-laws" are subjected to their cliquey elitest Norwegian behavior.  I have two sister-in laws in the immediate "mean family"  I'll  call them Mitzy and Muffy.  I actually really like M & M because they are usually just 'laughers'...meaning they don't instigate the Norwegian nastiness. The older brother and his wife, they are ok too.  We actually hang out for coffee sometimes.  We call them Ken & Barbie.  They are from CA, he has done some acting, (you can see him on TV commercials) ....she is tall and has Barbie doll legs.....we all secretly don't like them for their veggie eating ways, but we're happy they moved back to MN.  We're trying to fatten them up with hotdish and heavy whipping cream.  The staples of any Norwegian family, mean or not.    Finally we have the little brother, (my husband's youngest brother) well he's another story.  He was only 12 when Rockstar and I started dating.  He seemed so sweet back then.  Well, he became this big piano player guy.  He teaches at this school in St. Paul...he's blah blah blah....Ya, you get the picture.  Big ego piano teacher guy.  Then there are all the nieces and nephews.  Too many to count...but they all pretty much make fun of me too. 

Rockstar also laughs at me when we're all together!!!  He says that I am actually the instigator.  (See it's dangerous for him to be around them, he is prone to their brainwashing)  He says if I would not TALK so much maybe there wouldn't be so many things in which the mean family could tease me about.  I don't consider it talking, I'm sharing...I like to think that I'm transparent, open, that I am engaging and friendly.  Norwegians NEED that. I consider it a ministry to the less fortunate.  Oh, but they just wait to pounce...I tell a charming little story about myself...some quirky thing...and WHAMO !!  They remember every detail for years and years too.  All my lovely stories that are meant to inspire just end up on the chopping block.  Fodder for the Norwegians. 

It's kind of surprising with how terrible this family is that I keep going back.  For 22+ years I've been going back.  It's also surprising that I laugh sooooooooooooo hard everytime we're together.  I didn't think I was the type to laugh in the midst of pain....but I guess I am. They can be very entertaining sometimes,  I'll admit.  That little piano player guy, well he's quick witted...and Mitzy and Muffy, they know how to put in their 2 cents. Ken and Barbie join in often as well.  (when they aren't looking for something "healthy" to eat)  For as mean as they all are I find them rather endearing.  I've grown quite attached to them.  I've known some of them for over half my life....and the nieces and nephews...well pretty much their whole lives.  I think this big group of Norwegians must show love by being mean to me.  And if that's the case then I know they really REALLY love me. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow, perspective really changes a story! LOL! HMMM! Could there possibly be anything you are leaving out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you read carefully I did fess up to opening my mouth often:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I also "kind of" fessed up to being an instigator. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny you are transparent. We just wish your blouses weren't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In case any of you were wondering....that last comment about my blouses is just the kind of thing I must endure from my mean Norwegians. It's that witty piano player guy in all his glory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .... she wrote this in her Mental Mind State!

    ReplyDelete
  7. no wonder the mean Norwegians post anonymously...

    ReplyDelete

Here's your chance to speak...so fire away!