Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Turn the channel!!!

I can't decide if the Food Network is good for me or not.  I find that I'm now obsessed with spices I never even knew how to pronounce just a few short years ago.  A simple chicken salad sandwhich is no more.  I mean I used to put chicken in a bowl, add Helmans, a little pickle juice, mustard, salt and pepper and we were good to go.  But now I have this...this COMPULSION!  Helmans...phhht are you kidding??   Pickle juice?? PUHLEAZE.  I want homemade dill spice mayo with some chopped Italian flat leaf parsley and a side of red pepper jam please. Steak on the grill ? Sure, as long as it's served with rosemary butter, and some baby red potatoes sauteed in scallions, and fresh garlic.

  I longingly look at the big chunks of parmigiano reggiano and pecorino and silently curse Giada Delaurentiis for ruining Velveeta for me.  Forever.  And have you seen the things Paula Deen has done with butter?  It makes me want to get my own cow and have my children churn the old fashioned way.  And while they are at it make me a batch of pecorino.  

I'm making it sound like I only will cook gourmet food now.  Hardly....I'm just more OBSESSED.  Don't even get me started on the cookie/cupcake/thing.  I already love to decorate them...but after watching some of those shows I feel the need (complusion)  to make a cake.  Not just any cake though.  A lifesize cake... of Cruella Deville and all 101 Dalmations. Perfectly frosted.  And if that's not enough I think it should be on a large motorized platform where all the puppies are barking and chasing each other. 

 See, I really don't know if Food Network is good for me.  Maybe I should start a support group.  "Hi, my name is Jennifer, I have a prejudice against plain mayo." Do you think it could work?  I don't know.....we'd have to be really, really careful that no one brings homemade citrus scones (with extra butter)  for snack time.  Serious relapse.

2 comments:

  1. We have a dvr over her. It is full of recordings, 83% full right now. Can you guess what all 80% of the recordings are? I let hubby record a history show for that other 3%. Give up? It is all Food Network. I need a support group, hi my name is Kayla & I'm addicted to Food Network. And, don't get me started on the Food Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not have TV or I too would have a DVR full of that stuff. Instead I have a williams-sonoma recipe addiction. I've made 10 recipes in nine days and I have a stack of them along with attached grocery lists for each. The food is SO amazing! A girl who would not touch garlic or onions now cannot stop putting them in everything. I also currently have four containers of fresh herbs in the fridge... what?! Not just salt and pepper like every other Minnesotan? Once you start you can't stop and I don't know why you would ever go back?! My hubby is not complaining about this addiction :)

    ReplyDelete

Here's your chance to speak...so fire away!