Wednesday, January 26, 2011

So that's what cool is?

I consider myself to be pretty cool.  Hip even.  What I mean by that is, as far as moms go I think I normally pass the test with my kids. Now mind you, I'm NOT one of those moms who wants to look and dress like her teenagers.  Frankly, I think skinny jeans are from the devil.  However I don't wear 'mom' jeans either, nor 'mom' sweaters with embroidered cats on them. (Those are definitely a blue light special from hades)  I don't spit on kleenex (anymore) to clean a dirty face on the way to church.  I try my best to not sing along with the pep band when they play "Freezeframe" by the J. Giles band.  Seriously, that one is tough.  It's so darn catchy.  Take a moment and sing it if you can.

So you see, we've established that I'm your basic, normal-ish trendy enough to make the cut mom.  But for all my mom coolness I cannot for the life of me understand this pose my daughter is demonstrating.  Its' sweeping the nation.  It's on every teenager's Facebook and it's always the same!
The pose by the tree above is a little less gangster.  But here, not only do we have gangster we have 'I'm gonna rob that gas station with a butter knife'. (all the while wearing my pink hat with a cross on it that I got at Bible camp)  What makes it even more funny to me, is that this picture is so uncharacteristic of her real personality.  


She usually looks like this!!  See, a sweet, cute smiling face.  No weird lip contortions and sideways peace signs.  No scary butterknife looks. (I realize the sombrero is a little distracting, but it was her Birthday and we love enchiladas)  My point is she's really quite a lovely, well mannered girl.  Polite, kind, great with little kids, loves her daddy, loves her sister, loves her brother (most days) works hard at school....but ask her to strike a pose...any pose she wants and she goes right back to this...


When I ask my kids why this is standard in the 'coolness industry' they can't even tell me. They just look at me like I'm wearing one of those uncool cat sweaters.  So,  I've come to the conclusion that in teenager land contorted lips + sideways peace sign = cool. It just does. Period.  I only wish the J. Giles band would make a comeback, because then I could sing along with the pep band and be cool too.  True dat.

5 comments:

  1. You know I'm down wit you, home girl! But why did you have to get that song in my head? I will be singing it all day, thinking of you and wondering how I got such a cool friend! Jen C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen Jen...you are sweet and I KNEW you'd be humming it. LOL. I can always count on my fellow 80's music guru to join with me. I still think we need to find a game show that's all about the 80's and we could be partners. We'd be millionares for sure. Word. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lydia a gangsta....ha ha ha! I have to say in the picture by the tree, she is looking a lot like her momma (except the fingers and mouth thing). I love the sombrero picture. Add a "pluggie" to her mouth and that is how I remember her!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny Jen! I just had this conversation with Antonia this weekend as she was taking photos with that same pose. To me it looked like the photos I see on her friend's FB page and it drives me crazy! She also looked at me like I was "clueless". Maybe I should go to the next rummage sale and find one of those "mom sweaters" with a cat on it - THEN she can look at me like I'm crazy (with good reason)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i must say it's just a girl thing. my son just gives me any old goofy face that comes to mind. not one specifically or for every pic.
    but i think we all need to go get some mom sweaters and show up for moms' group some day

    ReplyDelete

Here's your chance to speak...so fire away!