Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Yellow Light

This bowl of fruit on my counter is my happy place right now.  In fact my kids caught me today with my eyes closed, nose in the middle of the bowl, just sniffing.  "What are you DOING?" Startled out of my fruity bliss I responded with "Thinking how much I miss the yellow light."  Now most kids would wonder what in the heck that means, but not my kids.  They just said "Oh" and were on their merry way.  I think I did catch them giving each other the 'Wow mom IS a fruit isn't she?'  look, but I ignored them and went back to my happy place.  I'm a self professed winter non-lover.  (sounds nicer than hater)  I do really well until New Years and then on January 2nd I want it GONE. And well, let's be real, in Minnesota old man winter is just putting on his big boy pants in January.  He's more like middle aged man winter right now....something of which I'm completely aware of and yet it annoys me every year.  Oh yes...the yellow light.  Sometimes I call it the green light too.  It's the kind of sunshine you only get in the spring and summer.  It's a yummy yellow light that is rich and warm and full of grass and leaves and corn in the fields.  Winter is pretty when the snow sparkles in the sun... I'll give you that...but the light is just so...well....white.  Really, r.e.a.l.l.y. white.  Like burn your retinas give you an ice cream headache white. So this fruit on my counter, it's my therapy.  I can smell it and get lost in the summer to come.  It also seems to create good bonding time for my children as they mock me, and call me names.  I don't care, my retinas are really happy.


2 comments:

  1. Ahh...I was wondering about that bowl of fruit! :) I wanted to know if they were real..I just forgot to ask! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You dream of yellow light, and I dream of being able to write so brightly! Love it Jen!

    ReplyDelete

Here's your chance to speak...so fire away!